DCS & I&C Engineer
Iowa Fertilizer Company (IFCo) is looking for an experienced DCS and Instrumentation & Controls Engineer to join our Reliability team in Wever, Iowa. This position will be responsible for developing, installing, managing and/or maintaining equipment which is used to monitor and control systems, machinery and processes throughout the plant. The objective is to ensure that these systems and processes operate effectively, efficiently and safely. Further responsibilities will be to insure process control and safety instrumented systems adhere to ISA Industry Good Practices and are compliant with PSM. The role works closely with operations, other Reliability I&C engineers, process engineering and maintenance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
At a minimum, tasks will include:
• Manage DCS programming and changes to graphics and software
• Track and optimize DCS health and tuning for reliability – critical valve response time
• Troubleshooting and performing root cause analysis on DCS, PLC controls and instrumentation
• Manage technical information relating to DCS and instrumentation & controls
• Develop skills in specific disciplines such as advance process control (APC), distributed control systems (DCS), programmable logic controls (PLC), and supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA)
• Manage critical process instrumentation PM’s and develop scope for turnarounds
• DCS alarm rationalization
• Testing, maintaining and modifying existing control systems.
• Work collaboratively with design engineers, operation engineers, purchasers, and other internal staff
• Adhere to PSM principles relating to MOC and software change requests and documentation
• Provide technical guidance for technicians and operations
• Evaluate and recommend reliability improvements by being proactive and predictive
• Train/technology transfer to crafts persons
• Maintain IT security compliance for the process control systems
• Business case development for Capex
• Collaborate with project teams to design, review and manage projects
• Identify and recommend spare part strategy / assess system risks
• Design and specify new instrumentation and control valves
• Insure that plant SIS’s and critical process instruments are tested and in compliance
• Maintain meticulous records
• Specify equipment, parts, software, hardware and tools required
• Must be willing to be available 24/7 on short notice to support plant operations
• Write and develop preventative maintenance procedures
• Analyze data and present findings in written/electronic reports
• Implement and manage MOC process
• Manage engineering drawings and information.
• Analyzer and CEMS calibration program management
• Manage and maintain plant instrument database
• Interface with multiple disciplines
• Develop budget information
• Manage contractors including scope, prioritizing and reviewing work
• Follow company safety and health guidelines and other company policies.
• Ability to climb straight ladders.
• Some work may require heights in excess of 100 feet.
• Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
• Physical requirements – bending, kneeling, lifting up to 50lbs.
• Confined space entry may be required.
• Wearing a respirator when/where required to perform inspections/job duties.
• Industrial chemical plant environment.
• Noise levels may require hearing protection.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to gather and evaluate complex information.
• Ability to use personal computer software for word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• SAP experience a plus.
• All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical, Chemical, Mechanical or related engineering discipline
Experience and Qualifications
• DCS Yokogawa Experience (Prosafe, Centum, Exaquantum, Exaplog, PRM) preferred
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience overseeing DCS control systems and instrumentation
• Graphics programming experience (HMI)
• Software programming
• Ladder logic programming
• Minimum of 2 year’s experience supporting environmental compliance in the chemical industry or other industrial manufacturing.
• Analyzer and CEMS experience a plus
• Enthusiastic and willing to learn new skills
• Accomplish business and personal goals while working with others
• Excellent problem solving skills
• Chemical plant or fertilizer manufacturing experience a plus
• Project management skills
• Commissioning experience a plus
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to gather and evaluate complex information
• Ability to use personal computer software for word processing, spreadsheet and database applications
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skill, tasks, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associate with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, IFCo reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as business needs arise. In compliance of EEOC regulations, if the employee cannot perform the essential functions of this position in a satisfactory manner, further accommodations shall be made if it does not constitute undue hardships upon this organization.
Title: DCS & I&C Engineer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Lead Reliability Engineer
Location: Wever, Iowa (Burlington, IA area)
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check, pre-employment physical and drug screen. A valid driver’s license is required. Iowa Fertilizer Company is an equal opportunity employer that recruits, hires, trains, and promotes regardless of race, color, veteran status, age, disability, sex, national origin or religion. We value diversity in our workforce and in the communities we serve.