Iowa Fertilizer Company (IFCo) is looking for a Human Resources Generalist to support the HR function at all OCI US locations. This position will support the HR Managers working closely with the HR Director and other members of the HR team at each location. Employee relations support as well as policy development/implementation will also be key responsibilities for this position. This position is responsible for both administrative and strategic hiring duties and planning. The ideal candidate will have experience in multiple locations and areas of expertise. The candidate should be organized, experienced, able to work independently and be a dedicated strategist and planner.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
At a minimum, tasks will include:
- Lead the recruitment/employment process including enhancement of the recruitment programs, job fairs, a formal internship program and affirmative action.
- Serve as back-up for payroll processing for all U.S. locations and process payroll at least once per quarter to stay current.
- Performs recruitment activities, interviews, and evaluates candidates for positions and maintains records related to same.
- Implements human resources programs by providing human resources services, including talent acquisition, staffing, employee relations and retention.
- Handles employee relations counseling, outplacement counseling and exit interviewing.
- Assists in the development and implementation of Human Resource policies and procedures.
- Updates and maintains the employee handbook and the policies and procedures manual.
- Participates in developing department goals, objectives and systems with the HR Manager.
- Reviews and supports the annual updates to the compensation program; rewrites job descriptions as necessary; gathers data to support annual salary surveys and provides data to develop merit pool (salary budget); provides necessary data to analyze the compensation structure; monitors performance evaluation program and provides suggested revisions as deems necessary.
- Develops human resources solutions by collecting and analyzing information; recommending courses of action.
- Improves manager and employee performance by identifying and clarifying problems; evaluating potential solutions; implementing selected solution; coaching and counseling managers and employees.
- Participates in staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
- Assists in evaluation of reports, decisions and results of department in relation to established goals. Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to continually improve efficiency of the department and services performed.
- Completes special projects by clarifying project objective; setting timetables and schedules; conducting research; developing and organizing information; fulfilling transactions.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Evaluates reports, decisions, and results of department in relation to established goals in conjunction with HR Manager. Recommends new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department.
- Follow company safety and health guidelines and other company policies.
- Physical requirements – bending, kneeling, lifting up to 25lbs.
- Industrial chemical plant environment.
- Noise levels may require hearing protection.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- SAP experience a plus.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree and three to five years of HR experience, or a master’s degree in HR management and two years of experience in the HR field, or seven years of experience in the HR field, or any similar combination of education and experience.
Experience and Qualifications
- General knowledge of employment laws and best practices.
- Experience with payroll system (ADP) is preferred.
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS), Excel and demonstrated skills in database management and record keeping.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Superior verbal/written skills and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal relationship building and employee coaching skills.
- Organized and efficient in daily tasks.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in a manufacturing plant preferred with experience in a fertilizer manufacturing plant a plus.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skill, tasks, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associate with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, IFCo reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as business needs arise. In compliance of EEOC regulations, if the employee cannot perform the essential functions of this position in a satisfactory manner, further accommodations shall be made if it does not constitute undue hardships upon this organization.
Title: HR Generalist
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: HR Manager
Department: Human Resources
Location: Wever, Iowa (Burlington, IA area)
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check, pre-employment physical and drug screen. A valid driver’s license is required. Iowa Fertilizer Company is an equal opportunity employer that recruits, hires, trains, and promotes regardless of race, color, veteran status, age, disability, sex, national origin or religion. We value diversity in our workforce and in the communities we serve.