SR HSE Manager
Iowa Fertilizer Company (IFCo) is looking for a SR HSE Manager to provide overall environmental, health, safety, and security compliance leadership for the IFCo Plant facility. This position will direct HSE affairs with regards to regulatory relations; regulatory permit and plant maintenance; and legal/permit compliance for the facility.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
At a minimum, tasks will include:
• Process safety management experience with highly hazardous chemicals. Working with all departments to prevent or mitigate episodic chemical releases that could lead to a catastrophe in the workplace and possibly in the surrounding community.
• Partner with business unit leadership to drive a strong safety culture, and proper safe behaviors. Providing strategic leadership that motivates the organization to become injury free. Ensuring employee empowerment and engagement practices.
• In partnership with business leaders, develop safety policies and procedures that support the company’s goals, the operation’s needs, and achievement of safety results. Support the company’s safety standards and discipline guidelines. Lead and ensure compliance with all IFCo incident reporting requirements.
• Manage Health, Safety, & Environmental staff along with the security contract staff. Participate in HSE staff recruitment, training, and development.
• Develop environmental permit applications and associated plans including water quality, air quality and water supply permits for the Plant. Strong knowledge of Environmental Permitting, for Air, Waste, and Water.
• Maintain environmental permit recordkeeping and reporting according to specific state and federal regulations.
• Develop or review and approve regulatory reports submitted to state and federal agencies.
• Develop and implement required policies and practices as required by Homeland Security, and CFATS.
• Correspond with state regulators and have extensive knowledge of state regulations and procedures
• Communicate and coordinate all environmental testing with appropriate state agencies and state inspectors.
• Participate in any HSE compliance audits.
• Follow company safety and health guidelines and other company policies.
• Ability to climb straight ladders.
• Some work may require heights in excess of 100 feet.
• Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
• Physical requirements – bending, kneeling, lifting up to 25lbs.
• Confined space entry may be required.
• Wearing a respirator when/where required to perform inspections/job duties.
• Industrial chemical plant environment.
• Noise levels may require hearing protection.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to gather and evaluate complex information.
• Ability to use personal computer software for word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• SAP experience a plus.
• All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Occupational Health or Environmental Sciences, Biology or other related discipline preferred.
Experience and Qualifications
• Minimum of 12 years, experience supporting HSE compliance in the chemical industry or other industrial manufacturing. Fertilizer manufacturing experience is a plus.
• OSHA’s Process Safety Management knowledge, skills, and practicable application experience
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skill, tasks, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associate with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, IFCo reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as business needs arise. In compliance of EEOC regulations, if the employee cannot perform the essential functions of this position in a satisfactory manner, further accommodations shall be made if it does not constitute undue hardships upon this organization.
Title: Senior Health, Safety and Environmental Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Plant Manager
Location: Wever, Iowa (Burlington, IA area)
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check, pre-employment physical and drug screen. A valid driver’s license is required. Iowa Fertilizer Company is an equal opportunity employer that recruits, hires, trains, and promotes regardless of race, color, veteran status, age, disability, sex, national origin or religion. We value diversity in our workforce and in the communities we serve.